Funded by the Sustainable Farming Fund (SFF) this project investigated strategies for dryland livestock farmers to drought proof their farming systems using different species and develop their properties with guidance from Lincoln University staff. Farms who contributed to blog posts the initial Marlborough Technology Transfer project, which documented on-farm activity with photos from our Marlborough famers included:
- ‘Bonavaree’ (Doug & Fraser Avery, Marlborough). Winner 2010 South Island Farmer of the Year; Winner 2019 Westpac Bayleys Marlborough Sheep & Beef Farmer of the Year.
- ‘Breach Oak’ (Warwick & Lisa Lissaman, Marlborough). Second place 2019 Westpac and Bayleys Marlborough Sheep & Beef Farmer of the Year.
- ‘The Pyramid’ (Chris & Julia Dawkins, Marlborough). Winner Cawthron Marlborough Environment Awards 2019. Winner Westpac and Bayleys Marlborough Sheep & Beef Farmer of the Year 2021.
- ‘Tempello’ (David & Jo Grigg, Marlborough).
- Gundy & Lisa Anderson from ‘Bog Roy Station‘ between Omarama & Otematata started outlining changes to their farm system from 2013. Winners 2013 Canterbury Farm Environment Awards.
With the aid of Cath Goulter, working on behalf of the Dryland Pastures Research Group, the farmers involved developed practical messages for other farmers to follow. These have been posted on our Blog and provide a web-based resource for other farmers to use as a reference to develop appropriate strategies for their own farms. A list of blog posts are listed below for each farm. PDF versions of farmer presentations, including descriptions, are in the Downloads area.
- 20/08/2012. Bonavaree Dryland Blog
- 20/08/2012. Bonavaree – Lambing onto Mixed Species Paddocks (Glen Erin House Paddock)
- 20/08/2012. Bonavaree – Lambing onto Lucerne (Jeffries Front Flat)
- 27/08/2012. Bonavaree – Lambing onto Omaka Barley (North Face)
- 10/09/2012. Bonavaree – Lambing onto Lucerne (Jeffries Front Flat)
- 04/10/2012. Soil fertility and dry matter yields
- 07/10/2012. Bonavaree – Lambing on Omaka Barley (North Face Paddock)
- 07/10/2012. Bonavaree – Mixed Species Paddock (Glen Erin House Paddock)
- 19/10/2012. Bonavaree – Jeffries Front Flat – Torlesse Lucerne
- 22/10/2012. Bonavaree – Establishing Bonavaree Mix Paddock from Omaka Barley
- 28/10/2012. Glen Erin House Paddock – Bonavaree Mix
- 16/12/2012. Bonavaree – North Face (November)
- 16/12/2012. Bonavaree – Jeffries Front Flat (November)
- 16/12/2012. Bonavaree – Glen Erin House Paddock (November)
- 02/02/2013. Bonavaree Jeffries Front Flat (December)
- 02/02/2013. Bonavaree North Face (Drilled October 2012)
- 10/04/2012. North Face – Bonavaree mix now fully established
- 17/04/2013. Jeffries Front Flat – on track for good seed yield
- 29/04/2013. Glen Erin House Paddock – Bonavaree mixed paddock persisting through the dry (February).
- 09/07/2013. Bumble Bees at Bonavaree
- 15/08/2013. Jeffries Front Flat – the results of harvest and use for lambing feed?
- 29/08/2013. Lambing onto Lucerne Jeffries Front Flat
- 08/12/2013. Spring stock rotations on Lucerne paddocks at Bonavaree
- 15/03/2017. Bonavaree Sub clover germinating in Marlborough this season
- 13/08/2018. Lambing under way at Bonavaree
- 09/04/2020. Autumn at Bonavaree – Challenges and opportunities under lock down
- 17/10/2012. Tempello Dryland Blog – Subterranean Clover
- 12/11/2012. Tempello Dryland Blog – Sub Clover (October)
- 01/03/2013. Tempello Dryland Blog – January
- 11/11/2012. Breach Oak Dryland Blog – Gland and Balansa Clover
- 07/01/2013. Breach Oak – Paddock renovation with Annual Dryland Clovers
- 30/01/2013. Breach Oak – Paddock renovation with Annual Dryland Clovers (January)
- 31/10/2012. The Pyramid – The Arrowleaf Clover Dryland Blog
- 16/12/2012. The Pyramid – The Arrowleaf Clover Dryland Blog (November)
Bog Roy Station
- 06/03/2013. Bog Roy Station – Dryland Blog
- 11/03/2013. Bog Roy Station – Background on the three areas
- 04/04/2013. Bog Roy – After the rain…
- 05/06/2013. Bog Roy Winter Maintenance…
- 19/06/2013. Bog Roy Winter Maintenance…Fertiliser Calculations
- 20/08/2013. Bog Roy Winter Maintenance-Spraying of Lucerne Paddocks
- 13/09/2013. Early Spring at Bog Roy
- 04/12/2013. Bog Roy Lambing on Lucerne – Year 2
Additionally, a series of Dryland Legume Workshops were held in Marlborough in 2012, 2013 and 2014. PDFs of the presentations given by researchers and farmers on their experiences integrating legumes into their farm systems are provided in the Downloads section below. A description of each presentation is given.
- Derrick Moot, Head of Dryland Pastures Research
- Dick (Richard) Lucas, Senior Lecturer
- 2013. Hollena Nori (PhD). The development and growth of annual clovers for use in dryland pasture.